Fall 2023 GSA
Hello Graduate Students!
Here are some important updates and information items for you prior to the start of the Fall 2023 term:
1. Registration for New & Continuing Students: Please register for Fall 2023 ASAP to ensure you avoid any late fees, loss of eligibility for UPASS & Health and Dental Coverage, as well as to ensure that your RA and GA payments are processed on time.
2. Graduate Student Orientation (GSO): All new and returning graduate students and postdoctoral fellows are encouraged to attend the Graduate Student Orientation on September 14th from 12:30-1:30pm in Andy’s Hall (AH100). Free lunch is provided to those who pre-register at https://myexperience.uleth.ca/events.htm?evtId=3782 .
At this event, you will meet representatives from the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) and the Graduate Student Association (GSA). The GSA will be holding an informal social event with snacks and games immediately afterwards from 1:30pm-4:30pm.
3. UPass Opt-Out: If you are eligible to opt-out of UPass, please do so on through the Bridge prior to the deadline of Friday September 22nd . If you have any questions about UPass, please reach out to Elena Allard at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. GSA Awards & Bursaries: The GSA has various awards and bursaries available to part-time, full-time, and international graduate students in all programs. These include Travel Awards, Emergency Bursaries, and Research Bursaries. Information about our awards and their deadlines are available at https://www.ulgsa.org/awards
5. GSA Study Corrals: Study Carrels in the Library are available for lease by graduate students. Each space includes a private room with a desk and working area. Study Corrals require a fully refundable 25$ key deposit returned to you at the end of your lease. Please contact email@example.com for availability if you are interested in your own study corral. More information is available at https://www.ulgsa.org/spaces
6. Graduate Student Lounge: The GSA has a graduate student lounge in Markin Hall (M3005) available for all graduate students to use. This space includes study areas, a fridge and freezer, kettles and coffee makers, a foosball table, and couches. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for the access code to this space and use this space whenever you please.
7. ULeth Food Bank: There are multiple FREE food bank resources available to graduate students on campus. For information about food hampers, see (https://www.ulethbridge.ca/artsci/indigenous-student-success-cohort/food-bank-resources). 24/7 food pantries are also available across campus (https://www.ulethbridge.ca/food-for-thought/little-library-food-pantries)
8. GSA Council Opportunities: If you are interested in joining the GSA council, please reach out to email@example.com for information about available positions.
What is the GSA?
The Graduate Students Association (GSA) provides representation, support, and advocacy to all graduate students at the University of Lethbridge. The GSA aims to provide well-rounded support, including financial support through awards and bursaries, mental health support, social events, and an annual multidisciplinary conference for the dissemination of graduate student work on campus.
Whether you are just beginning your graduate journey or are preparing to submit final documents towards your degree, we encourage you to reach out to the GSA (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any support. Any questions regarding academic employment should be directed to your union, the ULGA (Email: email@example.com // Website: https://ulga.ca/ ).
Note: The GSA is the academic representative organization for all graduate students. The Students' Union (ULSU) is the equivalent representative organization for undergraduate students only.
Please keep an eye out for future monthly GSA updates. You can also follow our social media pages for additional updates (@ulethgsa on Instagram and Twitter)
We wish you a wonderful Fall 2023 term!
All the best,